What are Mini Split Heat Pumps & What are the Advantages?
Many New England & Maine homeowners have heard of mini-split heat pumps, and they’re growing in popularity every day. Still, there is quite a bit of confusion as to what these systems are, how they work, and what the advantages are over other heating/cooling systems regarding comfort, performance, and energy efficiency. We’ve got the answers!
What is a Mini Split Heat Pump?
It’s a system consisting of four components that are capable of cooling or heating either large, spacious areas in your home or individual rooms. The elements of a mini-split heat pump include a compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and evaporator. Ideal for homes with a central thermostat and rooms that tend to be too warm or too cool, a mini-split heat pump provides cool air in summer months and warm air in winter months. Refrigerant circulates through copper coils that transform it from liquid to vapor in a closed loop. You’ll enjoy the silent operation as one component sits outdoors.
Mini Split Heat Pumps & Their Many Advantages
- Improved indoor air quality. Allergens and contaminants in the air are reduced as heat pumps filter the outdoor air.
- Comfort for your lifestyle. Many homeowners prefer not to heat or cool every room of their homes; mini-split heat pumps let you cool or heat the rooms of your choice, providing superior comfort while reducing energy costs.
- Energy efficiency. If cutting down on energy costs is your primary focus, no other type of heating/cooling system is as efficient as a mini-split heat pump.
- You can cool or heat almost any room or area of your home you choose because there is no duct-work to worry about.
- Simple installation. Compared to traditional HVAC systems, mini split heat pumps are minimally invasive and use small pipes that carry hot and cold air between the inside and outside units.
- Up to 380% Efficient compared to other heating systems that are typically only 60%-90% Efficient.
- Dehumidifies the space its in when in cooling mode.
- Reduced carbon footprint. Now you can heat or cool various “zones” in your home without duct-work and their problems (holes, leaks, etc.), making it possible to customize your comfort! This means no air loss, no cooling or heating spaces that don’t need it. Efficient, cost-effective, and reduced overall carbon footprint.